- Explain how a recurrence interval for a natural disaster may be misleading.
- Explain ways in which media reporting may underemphasize the impact of a natural disaster.
- Explain how the impacts of a natural disaster may be enhanced in a less-wealthy community as compared to a wealthy community.
- In reference to the figure below, describe examples of activities that are associated with the different stages of disaster relief.
- Discuss the differences between the internal energy and external energy of the Earth. What are examples of the effects these energy sources produce?
- Explain the possible combinations of plate types that may be present in a convergent boundary setting and describe the major features of these combinations.
- Explain the most common types of faulting as they are associated with each of the three types of tectonic plate boundaries.
- Describe the methods used to manually calculate the epicenter of an earthquake.
- Explain the difference between the Modified Mercalli and the Richter magnitude scales when used to describe an earthquake. What is each based on?
- With respect to the figure below, discuss the concept of earthquake early warning systems, how they work, and their potential usefulness.
- Discuss the choices societies must make as they relate to managing the risk to people and property as a result of earthquakes.
- Explain how an earthquake can generate a tsunami and provide examples.
- Describe some secondary and tertiary disaster effects of the 2011 Tohoku Tsunami?
- In terms of tsunami prediction, explain how the NOAA Deep-Ocean Assessment and Reporting of Tsunamis system works.
- In the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, discuss the main reconstruction plan for Rikuzentakata, Japan.
- Briefly explain the locations of the 2 greatest earthquake risk areas in Canada in terms of their geological setting.
- What mitigation strategies are now being employed in British Columbia to reduce the risks associated with potential future earthquakes in this seismically active region?
- Explain how P-wave alert/warning systems work and some advantages and disadvantages associated with them.