Chapter 18 Discussion
Ed Beatty is a 52-year-old client with a history of chronic renal insufficiency who presents to the medical clinic reporting a severe sore throat. He is diagnosed with a streptococcal pharyngitis. He is informed by the primary care provider that he will be treated with an IM injection of penicillin G. (Learning Objectives 2, 3, and 9)
- What information should be collected from Mr. Beatty before the administration of the penicillin G?
- Mr. Beatty asks why he cannot receive the medication in oral form. How should the nurse respond?
- Describe the equipment that the nurse should have available before administering the medication to Mr. Beatty. Why is this necessary?
- After receiving the penicillin G, Mr. Beatty experiences cardiac arrest. He is successfully resuscitated. Discuss the potential causes of the cardiac arrest.
- Mr. Beatty has recovered from the arrest and the nurse is preparing his discharge teaching. What information related to the penicillin G should the nurse include?