For this final essay you are to choose one of the case studies highlighted in the textbook or another engineering project that brings up some serious ethical issues. You are then to analyze that case study using many of the analysis tools and codes of ethics we have discussed throughout this course. Specifically:
– Briefly summarize the case study indicating what went wrong and who might have made decisions that led to the issue.
– Identify and apply one specific engineering code of ethics that applies to your chose case study. Which specific parts of the code are applicable to this situation?
– Apply at least two ethical theories from chapter 3 to the case study. Do you come to the same or a different conclusion if you use a different ethical theory?
– Use either flow charting or line drawing to analyze you case study. What did you find?
– Does your case study create an unequal risk between different socioeconomic groups or other vulnerable parts of society? Explain why or why not.
– Were there engineers who acted as whistle-blowers in your case study? If not, should one of the engineers have spoken up more forcefully?
– What concluding thoughts do you have? Could this problem have been avoided? Did the engineers act ethically based on your analysis?