Business case proposal for the provision of a new physiotherapy role or service.
Nationally, advanced practitioner physiotherapists (APP) have been taking up roles in primary care settings (CSP, 2016). Pilot schemes have run locally in….. This proposal calls for an expansion of the APP role into ….. The proposal will;
• Outline why an improved MSK service pathway is needed.
• Detail the proposed service pathway and its rationale.
• Provide a full evidenced based cost-analysis.
• Explain how the new service will reflect national and local service delivery changes.
• Set out the benefits to key stakeholders
Section 1) Background, why is this new service needed?
Section 2) Proposed service, a new MSK pathway ?
Section 3) Links with local and national priorities
Section 4) Predicted capacity of service in terms of completed patient episodes and requirement Based on an average GP practice having 830 contacts per week (NHS England, 2013), 30 % of which could be seen by an APP (CSP, 2016; Jordan et al. 2007).
If a GP saw the 249 MSK patients it would cost £6,346.40 per week. For Band 8a APP’s to see these patients the weekly cost would be £5,041.82 per week, (NHS England, 2013; NHS Digital, 2014; Personal Social Services Research Unit, 2014).
This results in a saving of £1,304.58 per week, (£65,229.16 annual saving). This estimate factors in 3% of MSK patients being referred by an APP to the GP for additional medication prescription, (Hensman -Crook, 2015; Swanton, 2016). This model would free up over 47-hours of GP time per week. Full costings detailed in appendix 2.
*Cost savings based on APP’s working as Band 8a, qualified to prescribe clinicians. Savings factor in the incurred cost of referring 3% of patients back to GP for further prescription.
* *Cost benefit analysis calculated using the CSP online calculator which is based on figures from NHS England (2013), NHS Digital (2014) and Personal Social Services Research Unit (2014).