The Independent Government Cost Estimate and the Statement of Work
Imagine that you are working in a federal government office as a government employee. You have been tasked with preparing an Independent Government Cost Estimate (IGCE) for a two-million-dollar procurement. The purchase is for the construction of fifty (52) towers with cameras and radar. The period of the contract is ten (10) years. The contract will also include training for the camera operators.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Evaluate the importance of the IGCE. (Dr. Vic’s Tips: Revisit the entirety of Compton, Ch. 2 – a very short chapter. Concentrate on importance and purpose of IGCEs p.p. 19-20. Also, you may want to introduce one external source on this question since you are required to have at least 4 sources…and yes, I mean 4 external sources!).
2. Examine the reasons for confidentiality of the IGCE. Propose two (2) actions that should be taken in order to maintain the confidentiality of the IGCE. (Dr. Vic’s Tips: First discuss the reasons for confidentiality – look at Compton p. 20, the second para. under the section, Estimate for Contracts and Option Periods, also, review p.p. 21-22 entitled Estimate Confidentiality. Next based on what you have learned thus far, offer two actions that should be taken to maintain confidentiality – make sure you offer them and briefly discuss them as well).
3. Create a sample of a detailed cost estimate. (Dr. Vic’s Tips: Here I am looking for you to add an actual, self-created sample Detailed Cost estimate – do not copy one you found online or elsewhere, please create one of your own from the imperative elements a Detailed Cost estimate should have – for more on these elements please review, Compton, p.p. 23-25, Detailed Estimates – and review Exhibit 2-2, p. 25. The easiest way to create your own sample will mostly likely be to create it on MS Excel and then cut and paste to your paper in MS Word).
4. Evaluate the types of statements of work in regard to compatibility with this contract. (Dr. Vic’s Tips: review the entirety of Compton, Ch. 5 again and from p.p. 48-50, list and briefly describe the three common types of SOW and then select the type you believe will best match the assignment scenario above – recall, the scenario related to a $2M contract for 52 camera towers, with training, etc. You will justify your selection in the next question).
5. Determine the most appropriate type of statement of work for this contract. Support your position. (Dr. Vic’s Tips: after you select the most appropriate SOW for the assignment scenario, then justify your selection – this will be a good opportunity to add supporting information from an external source(s) here.).
Use at least four (4) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.