This is an exercise combining screening for alcohol and harmful drug use, with a ‘brief intervention’ using Motivational Interviewing and referrals for follow up with behavioral health specialist.
For this assignment, create a narrated presentation regarding a patient (alcohol abuse) case scenario, using the Screening – with Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) approach.
1. SBIRT overview: Describe the SBIRT process and use in healthcare.
2. Case Presentation (alcoholic patient presents to ER with several complaints) Do not include patient identifying information but include age, chief complaint, and risk factors
3. Screening Tool used ( for example AUDIT). Describe tool, validity, scoring information and citation. Your patient’s score, and the interpretation of the patient’s score.
4. Brief Intervention: How was the Motivational Interviewing process applied and shared your client’s score and need for behavioral changes
5. Referral for Treatment: Describe the referral for follow up treatment
6. Evaluation of the process: Share patient outcome and provider evaluation of SBIRT process
7. References – 3-5 references. APA format. Include Screening Tool authors.