The Counseling Relationship
1. Defining counseling, the purpose of counseling
2. Your philosophy of helping and reasons why you want to be a counselor.
3. Identifying characteristics of effective helpers and providing examples of your personal strengths/limitations related to these characteristics.
4. Discuss a systems approach to working with clients as well as theories and models for counseling and consultation. (A systems approach may include contextual dynamics and family structure, power, coalitions or how the individual interacts as part of a group or community). Stages of Counseling and Building Relationships
Discuss the following:
1. Summarize the stages in the counseling process
Spring 20212. Use research-based information to discuss Importance of building a working relationship in the counseling process
3. Impact of technology on the counseling process
4. Research help-seeking behaviors of diverse clients and provide examples of how that will influence the counseling process.
5. Discussion how to conduct an initial assessment including how to screen for suicide and harm to others.
The Process of counseling
1. Discuss initial assessment, goal setting and screening for harm to self and/or others.
2. Discuss case conceptualization
3. Discuss the stages of counseling, exploration, insight and action.
4. Discuss theories and models of counseling, please include relevant information related to ethical and culturally relevant strategies for working with diverse clients
5. Discuss how ethics are integrated into the counseling process
1. Discuss the role of supervision and/or consultation in the
2. Discuss strategies for self-care that you might utilize as a